Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Becoming Antiracist: Reflect. Reimagine. Act.

(Partially reprinted from my article published in the June, 2020, iCommunicate an eNewsletter of the Illinois Reading Council.)

Current events have raised our collective awareness of systemic racial trauma in the midst of a pandemic. In my mind, current events, while historic, unprecedented, and at times overwhelming; provide all of us with a rare opportunity to reflect, reimagine, and act to effect meaningful change. As we begin to process the physical, mental, and emotional trauma that is happening in our world, it is incumbent of all of us to support each other, our students, and their families by creating more inclusive communities. 

REFLECT. For me addressing issues of equity, inclusion, and working towards a more inclusive community really came to the forefront of my attention while working on my doctorate, specifically during a class on social equity and justice. The antiracist ideals of equity and inclusion, coupled with my biases and prejudices, are issues that I have been trying to reflect on and address in earnest for the past six years with the full understanding that such work is a lifelong journey with no final destination. As such, I have come to learn the importance of listening to understand and that our actions often speak louder than our words. 

REIMAGINE. I believe some of the biggest roadblocks to rooting out systemic racism and reimagining education include:  (a) educational funding (funding from property taxes is inherently inequitable), (b) the deficit learning model based on standardized testing (these types of tests were created with the intent of proving that black people and women were intellectually inferior to white men), (c) curriculum/resources (presenting multiple perspectives by curating multi-modal text sets), and (d) professional development (the majority of teachers are white). The first two are policy related roadblocks. Although it is imperative for educators to lobby for policy changes, policies are largely beyond our immediate individual control. Curriculum, resources, and professional development, however, are fully within our ability to control, so individual teachers can begin to reimagine a “new normal” and immediately effect change. 

ACT. After personally reflecting and reimagining, it is time to commit to action. I have created a public Padlet (digital bulletin board - see link below) with the top 20 equity and inclusion resources that have impacted my thinking and instruction. This is by no means exhaustive list, but it is a place to start. 

Reflect. Reimagine. However, never forget the ultimate goal is to commit to taking at least one actionable step toward a more inclusive community. Even the smallest step when taken consistently can effect BIG change. 

I have been reflecting on past practices in my classroom (I will continue to share ideas on this blog) and trying to reimagine the actions I can take to move toward creating an even more inclusive classroom where ALL learners blossom—both emotionally and academically. I have not taken the time to blog consistently for a while, but I am committing to blogging once a week. Writing about all that I am reading will help me process the information and begin to formulate plans for action. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Traveling to a New Place Changes How We See

  “ Change how you see and see how you change .”— Japanese Zen proverb   I just returned from a trip to Tokyo, Japan. I was attending a Teac...