Thursday, June 13, 2019

Labels - Part 2

Reflection
I want to reflect further on how we, with the best of intentions, label children and how those labels impact their identity and self-efficacy.

Several years ago, I had the privilege of hearing Peter Johnston present. One thing he said, and I also read in his book, really resonated with me – we need to stop using value-laden language in our classrooms. One common example, teachers will often talk about reading strategies by saying, “this is a strategy good readers use…” In a child’s mind, they immediately think, “I use that strategy, so I must be a good reader;” or “I don’t use that strategy, so I must be a bad reader.” Either scenario is detrimental to a child’s identity as a reader. The “good” readers often establish a fixed mindset, slowing their growth; while the “bad” readers often internalize the comment and shut down. 

We are all readers! We are all at a different place on our reading journey! Our place as a reader during our lifelong journey, does not and should not, change the fact that we are all readers! My job as a teacher is not to judge you as a reader, but to learn about your and understand you has a reader, so I can help you move forward on your journey —with or without me! There is NO SUCH THING as a “good” or “bad” reader! (Can you tell by the exclamation marks that I am passionate about this topic?) When I adapted the mindset that everyone was a reader in my classroom, I found I could celebrate curious joyful reading with all of my students, which in turn helped them to build their identity, self-efficacy, and motivation as independent readers. That was a huge mind shift for me, and I believe with my whole heart that even though I did not always see tangible results in test scores, I saw tangible results in how my students became confident readers and began to love reading.

I know that is not a popular statement but, sharing reading levels with students is just another way of saying, you are a good reader or a bad reader. There is no need to share a reading level with a student. The level in and of itself does not provide a reader with specific feedback/information that will help them move forward on their reading journey. If I want to share the results of a reading assessment with a student, or their parent, I can do so by providing much more actionable feedback that a reading level.

Reflection to Practice
I believe I have done a good job at mitigating the use of labels in my classroom. I work hard to remove as much value-laden language in my classroom as possible. Teachers in the grade-level above me have mentioned how my mitigating the use of labels has made a noticeable difference in the kids and their mindset to learn. But, I also know that I am not doing enough to help kids grow has independent readers. 

My goal this upcoming year is to combine the work of Jennifer Serravallo and Kate and Maggie Roberts (see books below). This summer I am working on learning progressions related to text complexity. My hope is that by teaching readers through learning progressions on text complexity, it will improve their ability to independently preview and select texts that are just right for them—not because I say so, but because they can consciously make an informed choice on their own. I also believe that by naming and explaining what makes a text become increasingly complex, this practice will add in the kids’ ability to comprehend text as well as author text. 

Be sure to check back to the blog for updates on my progress.


Johnston, P. (2004). Choice words: How our language affects children’s learning. Portland, ME: Stenhouse.

Johnston, P. (2012). Opening minds: Using language to change lives. Portland, ME: Stenhouse.

Roberts, K. & Roberts, M. B. (2016). DIY literacy: teaching tools for differentiation, rigor, and independence.Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Serravallo, J. (2018). Understanding texts & readers: Responsive comprehension instruction with leveled texts.Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traveling to a New Place Changes How We See

  “ Change how you see and see how you change .”— Japanese Zen proverb   I just returned from a trip to Tokyo, Japan. I was attending a Teac...