Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Listener + Speaker + Reader + Writer = Lifelong Learner.

Reflection
I just got back from the Boothbay Literacy Retreat in Boothbay, Maine. What an honor and a privilege it was to learn alongside some of my literacy mentors like:  Kylene Beers, Bob Probst, Penny Kittle, Linda Rief, Chris Crutcher, Teri Lesesne, Cornelius Minor, and Sara Ahmed. What an honor and a privilege to learn alongside many other incredible educators who attend the retreat from near and far. Five days of learning heaven. It filled my literacy heart and soul. As I continue to reflect on my educational values and philosophies this summer, I am left with a clearer picture of my professional identity and can set meaningful growth goals for myself.

One value I absolutely hold as a truth—I cannot be a teacher of literacy without first being a listener, speaker, reader, and writer. I forgot which one of my literacy mentors said this (I would like to give them credit for this analogy), but “would you bring your child to learn piano from someone who has never played the piano before?” My answer is, NO. Of course not, it seems silly to even ask that question. Similarly, I cannot expect the families of my students, or my students, to trust in me has a teacher of literacy, unless I first do the hard work that I ask my kids to do every day—listen, speak, read, and write. 

To build curious joyful learning communities, I need to begin by listening to my students, their families, and colleagues with an open mind and an open heart, not to pass judgment but to learn from new perspectives. I need speak to share my truth, and to advocate for those who are afraid to speak or are not being heard. I need to read to learn about myself and others in order to make meaning of this global world we live in. I need to write, because writing clarifies all the other aspects of literacy. Writing has always been the most difficult for me. Writing, good writing requires purpose, an understanding of the audience, and an intimate knowledge of craft. It requires an active engagement in the literacy process has a whole. 

Although the standards may change from grade-level to grade-level, and child to child based on where they are in their literacy journey, what remains constant is listening, speaking, reading, and writing are the mirrors, windows, and sliding glass doors to the world (Bishop, 1990). It is my job has a teacher of literacy to pull alongside my students to do the hard work of exploring the world together. Balanced literacy means:
·     Incorporating listening, speaking, reading, and writing into my classroom
·     Curating a diverse classroom library (genre, format, story, etc.)
·     Integrating multiple content areas through project-based learning/literacy experiences
·     Communicating within and beyond the walls of the classroom
·     Exploring the world through multiple modalities and formats


The journey begins in kindergarten. And when educators are passionate listeners, speakers, readers, and writers, that passion is contagious, so the journey continues through our adult lives. What an honor and a privilege it is to pull alongside learners of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traveling to a New Place Changes How We See

  “ Change how you see and see how you change .”— Japanese Zen proverb   I just returned from a trip to Tokyo, Japan. I was attending a Teac...